Thursday, August 12, 2010

Backyard Neighbors

This newest contest was centered around the idea of all the crazy fun times you miss out on when you're not in your backyard or the park. I'm sure mythological creatures will take good care of everything though until you return. Great work everyone, here's the entries:


Kristi G. - The gnome brothers noticed their belts were fitting a little too tight around the middle, so they asked the Zen master flamingo to help them shed some pounds. By moonlight, we see them working on their downward dog and the standing, sideways split.


Liezl G. - Every night this color fairy makes sure all of the colors in nature are ready for the next day.


Nate S. - My idea centered around the games that fantasy creatures play when we aren’t looking, like this leprechaun, currently in the lead of the cat races.


Quincy G. - This silly clown performs for all of the animals in the forest to laugh.


Scott W. - So I was at a family reunion and saw Brock Guymon drawing this character (above). As he explained the drawing...I thought of a character made of stones and held together by fire. With his permission, I made these sketches:



Thanks everyone for your entries; they look great. All I can see is improvement and growth, aside from all the fun, creative ideas.

4 comments:

  1. All I can say is wow! Ok, that's not all.

    Kristi...I love your angular rendering of the trolls! and their posing is also fun....My only suggestion is acutally for your next drawing...I'd take that horizon line off the horizontal...make it diagonal and discover what great things you can do with perspective.

    Nate...what a leap! I love the character and think it has great potential for future development. My only comment is that it feels like the cat has more dimension and perspective than the rider (who is pretty flat...spot on profile..I think that playing with a three-quarter angle - even making them look as if they are turning - would make this leap from the page...the rendering is nice and loose and like I said, I see a huge leap in your work.

    Mine - Broak

    Liezl - I love the color fairy...so inspiring. I think the painting in general has a very elegant feel.

    Quincy - you captured the clown's funny personality.

    Nate - I'll finish commenting on yours later...but I'll say this is a huge leap in your work.(I'd written comments, but they dissappeared...I'll be back tomorrow).

    On mine, Brock Guymon needs to be added as a contributor...and I forgot to mention my thoughts on the character...I think the possibilities are quite excited : a friendly character who poses a fire hazard for all who meet him...sounds like a great beginning for a story! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I just noticed My comments are all weird...must have been a computer glitch because the comments I thought had dissappeared are back now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to completely agree with Scott. Kristi, Aubrey and I couldn't help but talk about how much you've grown with your art skills, keep going as your work continues to improve. I love the idea of gnome yoga. Liezl, your idea is so charming. I love the idea of a little fairy working on the next days colors. Quincy, every animal would be lucky to have such a clown keep them entertained until the morning. Brock, I'm glad to see your contribution.

    Mine, Scott had a good point. Doing a 3/4 perspective would have looked much better I agree. The cat was 3/4 in the face and when I finished drawing the rider I had realized the discrepancy. Oh well, I'll try to plan ahead better next time. Scott, I enjoyed the two variations of your character inspired by Brock's illustration. The story idea could be cool like if he though flowers were so beautiful but destroyed them with his hot personality. (Reminds me of my baby's personality; in love with beautiful flowers but smashes them with her hand to cut her off from enjoying one.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a fun project, it reminded me a lot of the book What Snowmen do at Night - one of our favorites. Nate, I think it is amazing how you positioned your characters to look like they are really moving fast. Scott, I love the rocks suspended in the fire - the design is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete