Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Our Old Europe

Well the Olympics are over. I really enjoyed them. Aubrey, my wife, and I talked a lot about what event we would train for and a lot about the countries represented. That brings me to the latest contest, pictures of old Europe. We all saw Europe in different ways, awesome. That's what makes these contest entries great, that not everyone is doing the same thing. Leave a comment and let each other know what you think.


Kristi G. - Germany - "I had a hard time with this one. I am not very good at landscapes or backgrounds. I wanted to do a painting of a German village with the reddish, orange rooftops. I think they are so charming. I tried lots of times, but it always turned out with too much detail and just looked too busy and messy. After reading a library book to my girls last night from Elisha Cooper - I love his simple shapes and colors, I decided to go super simple. The houses look pretty lame, but I ran out of time. Any tips on how to make backgrounds look finished without going to detailed and busy?"

Liezl G. - Eiffel Tower - "Liezl was so excited when she found out she had to draw any place from Germany (her favorite place she has never visited) or France (the fanciest place in the world). She chose to paint the Eiffel tower. She painted it like Monet's impressionist paintings after we read a story about him."


Quincy - Garden - "Quincy wanted to paint something from France. Hers is of a flower garden."

Scott W. - Sailing Boat European
.
.
If you're paying attention I, Nate, didn't make a submission. I had started one but I didn't finish it in time for the deadline so I didn't post it. I thought it only fair since I made the rule for everyone else. I learned my own lesson. I really enjoyed this contest but in the end...I am finishing up applying to pharmacy schools and had an interview Monday and Tuesday, which threw my whole schedule off. Thank you to everyone that submitted. Great work.

4 comments:

  1. Great work you four. We have an interesting mix of styles and interests...I love it. Kristi, I really think the colors you used worked well for what you were trying to capture. The picture I was working on was of Germany too and I agree that it's hard to simplify without loosing the identity. I'm working on how to simplify my style too, a difficult balance. I think what you're looking to figure out has to do with composition or design. I can't give much advice as that's one of my weak points too. (I'm thinking that it would be useful to but a series of posts on design/composition principles.) Liezl, you're picture is amazing. I think it's beautiful. I like the simplicity, good job little Monet! Quincy, I enjoy that you didn't stick with one color but put the bold ones next to each other. And Scott, I enjoy how readable your picture turned out. The mist almost seems to block out superfluous information leaving the story elements present and making the scene look more misterious or magical. The lines are strong and I love the curvature. If you're looking for critique the only thing that stands out to me is the perspective discrepancy of how the boat sits in the water vs. the dock in the distance. I can see though that maybe that's an element you were pursuing. Thanks everyone for your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, these keep getting better and better. Way to mix up the way you do things everyone. Kristi, I really like the idea behind your illustrations...I think you're work will grow stronger as you continue to research and draw more from reference...there's no need to copy, but I've noticed I tend to "fudge" when I don't understand the technical shape. It's good to be expressive, and important to have a foundation is realism.

    My favorite is the tower of these four...it is so expressive and I could see it as a background in a book or film. (Provided the character was more detailed and polished).

    The flowerbed colors would also be great as a background for a more expressive book. Again, the research and knowledge these girls gain from these projects really tickles me.

    And mine, well, the perspective "discrepancy" was on purpose although I don't know if it was wise. I should have done a bit more thinking through. But I'm learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nate, I am sad we did not get to see your work this time, but I can understand how busy you must be. I don't know if us girls like creating our pieces better or seeing them online. It makes them feel so famous and they tell all of their friends that they have artwork on the computer. I love how you can see Scott's style in every piece he makes even when the subject matter is so different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy both of your input. The pictures are so fun. I feel bad I didn't get mine done in time but it was a lesson for me in the end. I'll put the ball in either of your courts if you want. I have ideas for more contests, really I have an infinite supply of randomness. If you have any ideas though I would enjoy opening that up if even for a quick idea for something you're interested in. A book idea or a funny drawing you did.

    ReplyDelete