Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving Story - Illustration Contest

Here's the final collection of entries for the Thanksgiving Contest. Thank you everyone for participating in this contest. Great work.

                                                                         Kristi G.


Yesterday I walked into the kitchen and noticed Liezl and Quincy working on a project together while Ava stood watching, hoping to join in. I asked what they were up to, and Liezl responded by saying they were planning a Thanksgiving play. She was the Indian princess and Quincy was the beautiful pilgrim girl. I asked them if they could include Ava in the play, and they both said she already had an important part. Ava was thrilled to be their turkey and did a terrific job. I am so thankful for my silly girls!!!!

                                                                Nate S.

For about a year now, really it began about when I began this blog, I heard a story that just made me laugh, it was so sweet. My niece heard about the wonderfully magical properties of turkey wishbones and began scheming how she could insure she was able to make the wish and also presure her younger sister to wish for the same thing in case. I wanted to make some story off that idea somehow, about a girl that wants to make a wish or that does and the zany things that follow. So far I've only had ideas on this story, no direct storyline but the girl would have to be a compeling character.

                                                                            Scott W.

I almost didn't have time, but I do have some quick sketches. I have been toying with the idea of vegan twins...my family liked the fat ones the best...the idea for thanksgiving would be that they don't want to eat the turkey, but I'm also toying with the idea of the same twins not wanting to be secret agents - as a short story. Could be fun.

(Sorry Scott, I have attempted to fix the squashing of the picture. I have attempted to repost this and add the image in various ways but it comes out squished horizontally everytime. Great picture though.)

7 comments:

  1. Great work guys. Kristi, your picture makes me smile. You have the cutest, funniest girls I know. The picture captures the situation beautifully. I like the style of your work that is emerging and becoming more constant, and consequently more appealing with each passing contest. We could pick out nit-picky things with anatomy but I'm just happy to enjoy the idea behind the illustration and the overall gestures of the girls. Great work.

    Mine, I'm just glad I got it done. My Thanksgiving schedule was planned out for me from minute to minute and it did not include a drop of artistic time. Oh well, I wanted to develop it more but I'll get your input for now and see if I'm even going down the right avenue.

    Scott, I'm glad to see you got a submission in. I like the quick thumbnail sketches up left. Some of the figures are very interesting but I'm glad you went for the interesting story idea. Great work. For more critique, just ask, I'd be happy to provide it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I remember that. How she was convinced they could get a dog because of the magical thanksgiving wishbone. Makes me smile every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristi, I agree with nate...getting better every time. The only thing I keep wishing I'd see you do is to play with depth...step into the 3rd dimension...which gives me a contest idea, Nate. How about creating some sort of creature and using that multiple times in some sort of composition showing how they relate...have one in the foreground, mid, the distance.

    Nate, I was surprised by this drawing...way to go...kindof reminds me of stick. The only locale I see in need of real work is the jaw and for some reason I think she needs a bigger tongue. I'd like to see you flesh this story out more...maybe a next contest? I also have lots of things to share with you about CTNX...we'll need to talk.

    On mine, I'm having fun with the idea, but I'm not sure I want her the twins to be the big hips version. In looking at the thumbnail after reading your comment, Nate, I'm really liking the second from the left...we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Nate, I said the drawing looked like "Stick" I meant Lilo (and stit...ch). Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and Kristi, I think about your girls all the time...it's so charming to hear about the wonderful things you do together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen, thanks for commenting. They are so funny their zany adventures deserve a picture. Thanks Scott for your input as well. Funny you mention Stick because I used Lilo as a body reference to see how to capture the proportions of a little child and I realized that she was about the right size. I always seem to have issues with sizing characters so I'm trying to find better references for body mass. Yeah, looking back at it I see what you mean with the jaw, funny shape. The tongue I drew bigger than sized down because I thought it looked funny. Oh well...learning process. It was fun to work on. Good idea for the next contest, I'll get that up soon. Yeah, I'm excited to hear all about the expo, really jealous you got to attend. I think your input for Kristi is useful for more than just her. Depth in characters is more subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the comments. I would really like to build my pictures into more than just fun drawings, but put more skill and thought into them. Nate, Liezl is very proud of the picture you drew. We love it!! Scott, I love the hippy lady best, but the second one in might fit the story better - I really like that one too.

    ReplyDelete