Saturday, December 4, 2010

Tangled Review

Okay I had to take a moment from the normal flow of the blog to interrupt with a special message. I was totally broad-sided last week, somewhere from behind. I wanted to share my experience.


Last week my wife’s family went to see Disney’s new production Tangled in movie theaters the day following Thanksgiving. I was skeptical and in my opinion Disney pictures deserved it. They have put out quite a few feature films that had little heart and then to top it off 5 sequels for every Disney picture to date. Anyways I was skeptical, I think I mentioned that. Before we went to see the movie my mother texted me and said they just got out and she thought the movie was amazing (she shared my opinion from their pictures over the last few years). Hearing her say that sparked my interest, she’s very critical of movies, a difficult eye to please with art.

I must say that I loved the movie. I squirmed in my seat with laughter; I drooled over brilliant animation and visuals, and ended up shedding a tear or two. (I won’t ruin any scenes though and explain where.) The music was so fun. I grew up when Disney was the factory of animation gems like Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and Lion King. I drew those characters over and over again, wishing someday that I could be an artist for Disney and make movies like that golden age of feature films. That was my greatest dream.

Slowly as the story quality degraded so did my dream although it’s true, other companies were coming out with films that sparked my creativity and interest; as the third golden age of Disney animation declined so did my dream. Tangled surprised me in a way that left me smiling and dreaming again. While I’ve read that Disney isn’t going to go down the fairytale pathway anytime soon (not my favorite piece of news) I still have to say thank you to the artists that helped make the film. You’ve inspired my passion for films with heart, films that the whole family can gather around, laugh, cry, and dream. Fellow contributors to this blog: do something today and every day this year about your dream; believe in it with every fiber of your being and then get working and make it happen.

- Nate S.

(I had to draw a picture to celebrate how much I loved it. It didn’t turn out very well but it was based off one of their promotional posters/pictures. You really have to see the movie though, the art in the movie is beautiful sometimes and breathtaking at other times.)

2 comments:

  1. I agree--Tangled was so good! (But of course you know I think that :D) And I think the picture looks great!

    You know it's funny; when John Lasseter announced that Disney wasn't doing fairy tales anymore, I was kind of disappointed. But then I saw Tangled, and it was so good, I thought, you know? There's no better way to end it. Tangled was so good, I think my fairy tale thirst was satisfied. I'm excited to see what new and creative things Disney does next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it definitely was the icing on the cake. I really have to say that after all the princesses that have come and gone, Rapunzel is by far the most interesting and exciting to follow through her story. I am excited to see what comes next but if it's more Chicken Littles and sequels, I'd rather see how fairytales play out. I'm just a sucker for a good fairytale I guess. I agree though, whatever they come out with next I hope it's just as fun and captivating. (Assuming they do keep making feature length animation movies.) They need to.

    ReplyDelete