Monday, August 1, 2011

Dinosaur Hunt


Well, I guess I misread their deadline by one day. Oh well. You fellow reader will get to enjoy the entry that I put a lot of time into. If you do not know what I am talking about let me explain. There is a cool website that features information, tutorials, workshops, etc. all centered around illustration. They had a contest that was due (I thought tomorrow) last night at midnight. I spent a lot of time (a few hours a week ago and a whole day off) working on an idea for the contest. When I logged on I realized I was too late.

The contest centered around a few quotes and I chose one that said something to the effect of "Don't play what's there, play what isn't there." I had a fun idea of a girl and dad that are doing exactly that, playing that they're on a hunt for dinosaurs. I'm really bummed that I wasn't able to enter my illustration, not that I would have won but because I worked for a long time on this piece. Well, hopefully you can enjoy my misfortune in the form of enjoying my entry.

Vote for our fellow contributor Scott Wiser's illustrations: (by clicking 'like' he gets votes and the winner of the contest is based on how 'like'd or how many votes you get)

http://www.paperwingspodcast.com/2011/07/think-pink-ink-by-scott-wiser/
http://www.paperwingspodcast.com/2011/07/gone-gong-by-scott-wiser/
I'll have a new contest up on the blog within a couple of days for you all to participate in. You're the best!

I've included below the initial sketch if you're interested in seeing where I first started from.

3 comments:

  1. Nate, I love this. It's very charming and I almost got the story. The only change I'd suggest (at the sketching phase) is to have a stronger connect between the dinosaur and girl...maybe by having the dinosaur and girl making eye contact. I liked the colors and transparency effect as well. Way to go.

    I actually have 3 pieces...the 3rd is:

    http://www.paperwingspodcast.com/2011/07/upside-dream-by-scott-wiser/

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristi! Sorry I didn't talk to you much while you were here. Thanks for the support though. I was really bummed when I saw after putting a whole day into the piece that I was hours late.

    ReplyDelete