Friday, February 12, 2010

The Olympics are here!




Kristi Gustafson - My favorite Olympic dream growing up is when my sister and I would setup a 2x4 propped up with bricks at either end and pretend to be gymnastic girls.



Nate Stout - This was just an idea I had about a kid that decides to pursue his dream of long jumping. He decides to do a demonstration at school on the slide while all his classmates watch.
.
.
Thank you everyone for your interest in these projects. I had a great point brought up by Scott, that I am labelling these entry opportunities as 'contests'. That would denote that there would be a winner. What does everyone else think about the option of making these "contests" into more of a competition? Leave a comment and let me know. I don't know if there could be a prize more than having the title of having received the first place in an illustration or story competition. Bring it up to me. If you have an idea that you don't want to leave as a comment, send me an email. shoeboxofdreamentries@gmail.com I'm up for a range of different, even creative ideas. Also, how could we get more people involved? Let me know if you have any ideas. I think the more the merrier and the more we can inspire each other.

3 comments:

  1. Great job Kristi. Aubrey was laughing and telling me all about when you would both pretend and she liked that (I don't know how to spell it but) Laudie is in the picture. Thanks for your continued interest in these contests. I enjoy your work. Strengths on this piece (in my limited opinion) would be the positioning of the girl, the color choices, and the strong lines. I enjoy all of those points. The only thing I would consider would be the use of lights and darks in the piece. Overall it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On Kristi's I like the fact that she show the child pretending to be the gymnist (rather than showing the child's dream of being a gymnist). As far as the anatomy goes, the shape of her left leg is better than her right. Like the dog...it's a nice touch.

    On Nates, I like the style and your experimentation with mediums. The first thing that stuck out to me though was the proportion lines on the people's faces.. to me, that says "unfinished drawing" and you may not want that. I'd also work on his hand.. it could looser and in a more natural position.

    As for mine: it was so terrible you couldn't even post it....no, just kidding. Either the deadline crept up on us or we need to work harder to get more people involved. I'm still moving slowly on my Europe drawings and telling everybody I know about this site. I did talk to one person who writes wonderful poetry...she mentioned wanting to write a poem for this and then the winning illustration could be published along with her work.

    Also, I would like to see something more come of the monster book. That contest certainly motivated people because they thought something may come of it. Even if you chose one monster and had the story illustrated by different people (and somehow integrated the change of drawing style into the story) that could be an interesting and unique storybook. Either that, or you could have a skilled draftsman polish up the various drawings to a professional level.

    Whatever you all do, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a big fan of the contest idea, but it could get more people involved. Maybe the winner could be the one to suggest the next theme. I think successful blogs that are visited often are ones that have at least one post a week. I know you are so busy Nate, so I don't mean to overload your plate. I just think if you highlight an illistrator a week, an artist's tip on how to use a new medium, or a library book pick a week that has a good story or great pictures - just to keep people inspired while they are working on their art work, you might get more followers. You could have the contests for a shorter amount of time. That might mean the art is not as polished, but it keeps things moving. These are just suggestions, I don't want you to feel like I am taking over your project - these are just ideas. You are doing great.

    ReplyDelete