Thursday, July 22, 2010

Change Contest Entries

This contest was centered around the various types of change that we encounter, good or bad. It can affect us in many different ways. Thank you everyone for participating and sharing your talents and ideas. Great work! Here's this contest's entries:


Kristi G. - New Shoes - "With school coming up, this topic has been on all of our minds. I love how new shoes can turn worries into confidence."


Liezl G. - Buddies - "Liezl wanted to show the physical change that happens when something frozen melts, but when she put cute faces on her popsicles, she could not bring herself to melt them."


Nate S. - Little Texter - "I wanted to show with an illustration how quickly little kids change and how baffled it leaves you sometimes to see how quickly they move ahead on you to different things. I didn't get too far along in the development but I hope you can see the general idea."


Scott W. - Tie Dye Girl - "So I saw this girl with a tie dye shirt at Wal-Mart and she looked so sad - like few people understand or appreciate her - and so interesting...I could tell she had done her makeup extra and could imagine her having the desire to be beautiful...I also thought a character who looks like her and thinks she is beautiful would be very intriguing...."

3 comments:

  1. I mentioned a little bit in emails as far as my initial thoughts. I was pleased with your illustration Kristi, you really keep growing but you keep your style and perfect it more each time. Great work!

    Liezl, I am so proud of you. You keep working hard and entering great drawings. Your illustrations always make me smile; great work putting personality into the work.

    Mine, well. No excuses. I'm still getting used to these 2 week long bursts of MBA classes so it'll take some getting used to. I'm not too pleased with my piece, I wanted to get more emotion into the piece but I think it ended up looking rather flat. When I get home from work it is rather hard sometimes to see how quickly my baby is growing up on me, ofter while I'm not there.

    Scott, great illustration. I like how much mood you got into the drawing, the personality is there and the girl's body shape gets that across well. If you're looking for critique...hmm...that'll be a hard one. The only thing that leaps out to me is the pincushion look to the illustration. If it's what you were looking for great but for me I don't know if it's communicating the message you wanted to convey. Great drawing though and I like the subtle colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the topic of this one. I had many ideas and grand expectations on what I could create, but like all of us, life gets busy. I guess to go right along with the topic, changes in our lives bring different opportunities and challenges. It is frustrating to never find time enough for personal hobbies, but I have realized that this season of my life is going to change too quickly. Anyways....Nate I loved your concept - very funny and true! It is amazing what you created with the limited time you have. It is inspiring - thanks for taking the time to share your ideas and talent. Scott, I loved that you used a random person you have never met to create a whole concept around. I think it takes a true artist to observe everything and see beauty in it all. I loved her hunched posture and circular shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too liked the topic...but I'm more impressed with the variety of ideas. And we all know the challenge of telling a clear story in one drawing! What and opportunity to experiment. Thanks Nate.


    Kristi, I've never thought about the change new shoes bring about, but it's so true. One thing I would change in your illustration is the fact that both girls are excited....having the girls contrast could clarify your concept: that shoes bring confidence...so maybe it could have been one girl who is nervous...staring at the school calendar in horror, and another (handing the nervous girl a shoe box) confident and displaying her shoe...really fun concept!

    Liezl...I've never seen a cuter popsicle pair. You inspire me.

    Nate, my only suggestion for you is the same...to explore many layouts quickly...in little thumbnails...because I love the concept but I can tell it didn't quite come through as you hoped. And idea I had for presenting your concept is to maybe have the parent just coming upon the child (in a crib or carriage) and displayed absolute shock as the baby confidently texts (which for that to read, the baby should be decisively punching and key while numbers display on the screen...something like DaDa...Great concept though...love the idea.

    Mine...pincushion? I also had limited time, so I just went for emotion and only pushed design slightly. I'm glad to hear from you Nate that I succeeded somewhat. Thanks for the kind comments.

    ReplyDelete