Saturday, February 12, 2011

Best of the Shoebox - 2010 Nominations

Announcing the 2010 Nominations for the Best of the Shoebox. Sorry for the delay but I had to do my best and extend the deadline for nominations to break some ties as best I could but for each contributor there was a clear first place submission. Announced below are the winners in alphabetical order:

Kristi G


#1 - Mermaid yoga
#2 - Girl pulling friend from the aquarium
#3 - Blue and Pink Cover


Liezl G


#1 - Eiffel Tower
#2 (Tie) - Popsicle friends AND Ballerina


Nate S


#1 - Viking Interview
#2 - No clear second or third place (it was between girl with large monster, monster in PJ's, girl with wishbone, and peacock)


Quincy G


#1 - Silly Clown
#2 (Tie) - Patsy the hairy monster AND Veggie robot


Scott W


#1 - Monster Brush (Auguste)
#2 - Bubble girl work
#3 - European background


Also included in nominations are two other contributors that received nominations. Although they didn't have 3 or more submissions throughout the year I thought it was important to include the votes and invite them to continue contributing, maybe even more than last year.

Aubrey S


#1 - Nellybug character/costume design


Becca W


#1 - Story backgrounds

Great work everyone! Thanks for all your submissions and work in 2010; and for following us into 2011. Your final objective with this exercise, should you wish to, is to take your number one, people's choice as well as one of your choosing and make a final version, a polished version that represents your best work of 2010. You may also resubmit the same piece without changing anything to it if that is what you wish but I challenge you to work a little harder on this challenge. Also should you wish you can submit up a third should you wish. My main objective with all of this work is to showcase what each person has done throughout the year and you will then have something you can save in your portfolio.

I will give a little extra time for this contest because I want you to submit your best work, really dig into this contest and work out those muscles. Originally I had in mind that I would make these available in a printed format for any interested, making it easier to save in a tangible way. I still am interested in doing just that should no one object.

Deadline for polished work:  March 31st, 2011

4 comments:

  1. Great work everyone! I'm excited to see your extra polished versions. My suggestions is to work on this a little at a time. We have several weeks, so slow a steady works will help us raise the quality of our work, but not the burden.

    I like the idea of a book...would be fun to include the full years work as well as small pictures filling up one side of the page and our finished high quality rendering on the next page. We'd also need to work on our finals in a high resolution (with the full amount of inches and 300 dpi at least...might want to work in 600 to assure quality)

    Let's get to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you got the idea Scott. I was very excited about putting our work of the year in a printed format and highlight the best work of our group of contributors. I think it would be fitting considering the hard work done last year, especially considering that we're all "professionally" doing something else and doing these projects in our sparse free time.

    Good suggestion too; do a little work each week so you really get something that shines. Then you don't end up having to cram and submit something that doesn't meet your expectations. We'll probably do a couple of quick draw contests before the submissions are due but feel free to leave the quick draw submissions sketchy and focus on these final entries. Get working!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it will be more economical to do more than one year at a time though...I was thinking for 5 years, but will we keep going that long?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was actually planning on getting it printed in a magazine format where the price should fit comfortably below or around 6 dollars. Then we could talk about making a book format after 5 years or so as a collection. I have every intention right now of continuing this for 5+ years. Honestly it takes a lot of time for me but it's rewarding. I wish I could put better work on here from my part but it'll come and the blog helps me to slowly get there. Otherwise I'd lose the artistic half of my brain to vain memorization of pharmaceutical tables and equivalencies. Yes you can expect more. Keep telling your friends about it.

    ReplyDelete