Monday, February 7, 2011

Quick Draw - Character Relationships

Thank you for the pictures submitted. Great work. Here's the submissions I received for this quick draw contest.


Kristi G


Nate S


Mine I ended up not developing as far as I hoped to at this time. I’ve been working this month on a picture book marathon that has entailed coming up with the rough draft of a children’s book every day, on top of the finals I’m trying to keep up with. I appreciate the work you guys put into these contests so I knew I had to at least give you a real rough draft of my thought process. The story can be found on my blog and centers around two brothers, a big box of crayons, and a lot of imagination.



Scott W


I'm still playing around with the vegan twins. I like the personality of peace-loving, eccentric, etc. that they bring to my mine. I actually pitched animating something based on them at my school (but my mentor felt it was too complex). I would have a clearer, more polished sketch but I ran out of time...It'll come soon, no worries. So the sketch that I'm leaning most toward is the bottom left: one twin is drawn to the top secret box while the other pulls her away : The story I'm exploring of these two peace-loving-vegans who are incredibly skilled and talented, but refuse to be secret agents.

Also I wanted to share a comment that Scott sent me, I found it helpful (thanks Scott):

“Hey Nate, so I thought I'd share this too since this contest was a quick draw. I was in an online meeting and not feeling too positive, so I started sketching. I first made an interesting scribble shape and then started shaping a character out of that. I was only half concentrating in the drawing, so I was quite surprised with the quality of the character and rendering. It just reemphasized that sometimes we try too hard when we should really keep things loose and experiment.”

Just so everyone knows, I'm finishing up tallying all the results from the votes for everyone's nominations. I'll have them up this week.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Kristi, very charming illustration...I smiled the moment I saw it. I could tell you also looked at some foxes and must have made some sketches before drawing this, way to go...research makes a difference. The only big thing I could see improving it really specifying their eye direction. It looks like one of the girl's eyes is looking at the camera, and one at him.

    Nate, The story is clearer...now (And this comment comes because I've been reading a GREAT book on storyboarding) I'd play with your camera angle/composition to empasize either the boy or the adult (I'd probably do the boy myself).

    On mine, I think I'm getting there but have not arrived. It was good to do several sketches and now I should just explore my best idea further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi, when I first opened up your illustration I was suprised but I shouldn't have been. It looks great and your work is growing so much. Great job. I love the simplified shapes, they read well and I think they help show relationship between the two.

    Scott, I really like the sketches, my only complaint is that they are so small its hard to see all the time you put into exploring. (Honestly not really a complaint.) Great work. I really like the drawing of one of the two twins on the extreme right of the image, even though she's lacking the other pair of the relationship to show. I think you're on track, a little further exploration and you'll be there.

    ReplyDelete