Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore


The Fantastic Flying Books Of Morris Lessmore iPad App Teaser from Moonbot Studios on Vimeo.


I was recently blown away when I was introduced to an inviting story and a wonderful little app created by a team of artists at Moonbot Studios. What they did is nothing short of amazing. If you have been following my blog you may have picked up the hint that I'm a fan of animation and have been my whole life. This story and the presentation grabbed my attention and had me checking all over the web to figure out what they're all about.

Let me take a step back, if you aren't familiar with Mr. Morris Lessmore he is a character in an animated short film. Historically, short films have been used to push the boundaries of the art and science of animation and also to develop and foster growth and new leadership from the artistic team. Normally these short films are enjoyed by the audience but the love stops there...never paying the bills (or artistic team). To pay for the artistic work, feature films have been the expensive necessity (which would require even more debt or capital to fund any endeavour).

Mr. Morris Lessmore blew my socks off because here this team is able to think outside of the box, analyze today's new culture, and find a creative way to create a widget that people want and are willing to pay for. You received my applause Moonbot Studios in the form of purchasing the app and short film, an investment well worth it. The app is doing amazing right now in the Apple App Store (currently #27 on the Top Paid iPad Apps list). On top of that iTunes has made selling your short film to the public easy and affordable. Now for only a couple of dollars you can have access on your phone to the sweat, frustration, and tears of an entire creative team.

Inspiring work. Fellow contributors, think outside of the box, go places where no one has even thought of going before. New markets are opening up that will cherish your work and follow you, like you, and even inspire you to keep it up. Don't let anyone discourage you from pursuing your dreams...especially yourself. Some of the greatest obstacles you'll ever face were built brick by brick by your own two hands. It's not wrong to lay bricks...just make sure your paving a brick path that leads you on and up. Congratulations Mr. Morris Lessmore, you have my attention and admiration.


(Picture and clip are referenced from http://www.morrislessmore.com/ and http://www.moonbotstudios.com/. Check them out and let me know what you think.)

 http://www.morrislessmore.com/
http://www.moonbotstudios.com/

1 comment:

  1. I always know a high quality production when my brain just goes wild afterward - and suddenly my imagination seems more fertile. It's this circumstance where I know they had a great idea and explored every corner of it.

    I'm noticing the same kind of brain-activity when I get a good personal creative idea. There's something about the idea that sticks with me, that catalyzes my brain. These come about by observing the world and research - and they are stimulated by observation & research.

    I think that thinking outside the box happens, when we don't put a "box" around these ideas. If we second guess them or impose views up them...then we may spoil them. I think we can best learn how to nurture these ideas by watching children play...how free spirited and pure they are as they explore - that is the butter and honey of imagination - childhood that is.

    This was one of those films that put that pure unspoiled imagination in a bottle. After watching it, I am also excited to create! So thanks for the challenge, Nate. I accept!

    ReplyDelete