Monday, May 24, 2010

Illustration Workshop Entries - Concept

Here we have the 3 entries for our children's book illustration challenge. The three entries are going to be developed and, with collaboration through the blog, we will help the illustrators work these concepts down to a finalized book in the fall, ready to print. Thank you for your continual interest, you guys make this fun for me and I hope you feel the same way. Let's get working! Leave a bunch of comment dialogue to begin this process.

Story Concept) Kristi G.


So here is my book idea. It is very rough - so don't expect a lot right now. I want to make a very girly book with lots of pink and glitter, but would also like to contrast that with boy-ish stuff too. There are a lot of girl specific and boy specific books out, but not many celebrating both together. I would like to show off both sides and also maybe show the wonderful differences between first, second, and third children. The idea is of a group of three little boys coming over for a play date to a house of three little girls. At first they are excited to see each other, but they can not agree on what to play together. Once it seems hopeless, they see a swing set in the background. Then they decide on lots of things they can play together. By the time they go, the girls are wearing some of the pirate gear the boys were wearing at the beginning of the book, and they boys have babies and wands in tote. I want the pictures to do most of the talking and would like it easy for beginning readers, so each page will have one to two words. Here are the words I have come up with for each page so far. 1.Playdate!! 2.Princess? 3.No, Pirates! 4.Karate? 5.No, Ballet! 6. Babies!Barbies! Cars!trains! 7.Bouquets! Mud! 8. (no words, just some frustrated faces and some looking hopefully at the swings) 9.Swing! 10.crafts! 11.Music! 12. books! 13. see you soon.

I am going to have to do some research on boys. I have found that while sketching some ideas, I did not know what boys wear, how to draw their hair, how to draw a car let alone how to draw a boy playing with it.


Story Concept) Scott W.

Well since Kristi and her girls liked the bubble girl so much (Becca said her name should be Heather) I realized I have a story here. Here are some ideas so far (feel free to add and remove any ideas): The moment she meets her bubble friend, a struggle begins: to save her friend from popping. She tries a leaf and her mom lends a fan...Wind also aids in sending them on a small chase through a field (past a windmill) and into a river. She finally catches the bubble in a jar with the fan underneath so the bubble friend can hover. But the bubble friend, excited to be reunited with his friend, tries to fly through the glass and "pop!" Devastated to lose her friend, the girl drifts down the river on her piece of wood until she hears something on the banks and sees a little boy chasing his own bubble friend, together they help preserve that bubble's life and then later build a house where bubble friends can live longer lives.



All comments desired...I'd especially love to hear all the bubble ideas Kristi and her girls came up with.


Story Concept) Nate S.

The story I’m working on currently is centered on a new fairy learning how to fit into the world around her. Her job is hard and not exactly what she would love to be doing so eventually she finds she needs to put her personality and vitality into what she does and badabing badaboom; there you have the true story of the Tooth Fairy and how she came to be. I really envision it being a magical journey for the young fairy and hope to dispel some misunderstandings that we humans have from the media. My inspiration for this story comes from the writing style and illustrations in the old classic Winnie the Pooh story. I love reading that book to my little girl and I want to make a book that I can read to her. I’m afraid I may be too vague but ask questions if you have some and I’ll gladly answer as long as I don’t give away the conclusion. Please let me know what you think.

9 comments:

  1. Okay guys. Sorry it took me a couple of days to put these up. They're amazing! Great work. I kept checking my email Saturday and as they started coming in I just sat there and smiled, thinking to myself that you guys astound me. Great creativity.

    First Kristi. Your idea seems very strong. I love your concept of showing things that boys and girls love and the two learning how to appreciate eachother's interests. Visually it sounds like you're giving yourself freedom to have fun. I like the idea of the short one-word or one-phase descriptions on the bottom. I think your concept is solid and allows you to now have a foundation to work towards the next step. (Which is coming soon, I swear.)

    Next Scott, your story idea sounds like so much fun to illustrate. I'm glad you found a place for the bubble girl to exist and tell a story about the fun bubble creature you used in the other contest. I can see this project helping you with your animation goals, if you had a book you could show off showing storytelling skills. I like that this story centers around kids and their imaginations. I think it has great potential, I'm excited to see where this goes.

    Mine, don't know what to say about it yet. I just finished posting this blog entry so I have to let it settle more. Just let me know if you have questions at this point, as I left it fairly vague.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have mentioned about my story that if it sounds vaguely familiar, similar to another fairy movie, it's because it is or at least it starts out similarly. It will begin in the form of a satire but it will grow into it's own unique adventure, following a misunderstood fairy, the Tooth Fairy and how she became who she is today. Thanks Scott for calling me and bringing up that concern. My wife and daughter love watching that movie that I will not mention directly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, already spoke with Nate and his story sounds like it may cool, you may want to even truncate the beginning for those who have never seen the movie...and I always strive to never force a message on a story (I may make the wrong choices), but rather let one emerge as I write, so that's a word of caution but you sound well on your way.

    Kristi, I agree with Nate that you have a great start. I also love that the book can teach boys and girls about their important differences and similarities. Another method of research you could employ is sitting in on nursery or observing at a preschool.(even set up a video cam in the corner of the room and observe) I bet you could find great material in that way. Good luck.

    On mine, I can't overstate the importance of Kristi and her girls in this story, I need all the info I can get in that respect. And thank you for sharing your initial experiences with the bubble story. You helped me realize I have something special here. Now to bring it out....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun ideas!! Nate, I love the idea of seeing how the tooth fairy emerges from nothing significant into a fairy super star. Just showing us readers to make the most of what we are given in life. I did not even think of that movie, and it is a frequent in my home. A book like this would be a great help with answering many questions I am asked about how the tooth fairy works. Scott, I am excited you are developing a story around your enchanting character. We came up with a story for her that was somewhat similar. The whole story was about how to keep her alive. We also decided there needed to be more than one person to achieve that - someone fanning her or holding her with fluffy gloves while the other one builds her a house. We made the building of the house more of the story - starting off with bubble wrap, cotton balls, and dish soap and ending with a big fluffy castle. I like picturing her chase scene - I think the backgrounds could be amazing. I am worried about the friend popping. It might be a little harsh for young readers. You would have to make it up to them with something special in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear Kristi that there would be interest in the subject of the Tooth Fairy. I have had this idea for a little over a year but just barely started writting it to read to Ainsley at bedtime...she loves it so far. (I'm about 30 pages into writting, 3 chapters and my goal is 10.) My real goal is to bring the illustrations to be a part of the story. Any advice you would have as a mother reading the book to your girls?

    Scott, thanks for your advice. I'm glad you can get right into the critique and find things for me to address; I need it. Which message should I avoid imposing? I wanted to avoid having a bolded, underlined message to the story but more leave it to the readers to decide. I may have not gotten that idea accross very well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Advice to both of you. Scott, I'd have to agree with Kristi. The concept of death may be too harsh for a young audience although I can see your point in doing such. It just may be too much though for a book. I like the idea of collaboration though between the two children; there's something there.

    Kristi, I really like the concept you have for your book. I think the next few postings should help you figure out which direction to head in with your idea. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I can see why you would say that. I've debated myself wondering if such a thing were too hard...the only thing is it feels right...for now. I will explore different avenues of course...I thought having a "normal" bubble pop at the beginning might soften the blow of a later pop and also explain why she works so hard to keep him alive...but thankyou both for voicing the concern. Luckily, nothing is set in stone so we'll see how it evolves!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Nate, I didn't have a certain point in your story to critique (I don't really know much about it)...I was just getting on that ol' soapbox about letting message coming from story and not forming story out of a message...but that sounds like you planned on that anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Got ya. Yeah, maybe if you introduced the fact early on that bubbles pop so easily and then make the adventure more about saving one.

    ReplyDelete