Saturday, May 1, 2010

Our Funny Friends Contest

Great work everyone! I enjoyed the subject for this contest and it looks to me like you guys did as well. Thanks for participating. Here were our entries:


Kristi G. - I was thinking this girl would have come back from a trip to the aquarium with a perfect pink pet named Sparky, but I don't want it to seem like she stole it. Maybe she found her on the beach. I am pleased with it, but I am afraid Sparky looks more like an octopus - like the one on Nemo.

Liezl G. - Liezl has created two small beans (size and color of pinto beans) that live inside her head. They have a zipper that they use to leave their brain house to visit Liezl's shoulder when she is bored at school.

Nate S. - This one is really rough. Just wanted to get a depth of size comparison. It's based on this funny stuffed animal that my little baby girl has: a pink monster that must be a dragon because it has wings on back that flap as it sings. Just playing around with the idea of her meeting the dragon full size.

Nate S. - I used to draw dragons all the time when I was younger. This is a look back to those days.

Nate S. - Ever wished you had an imaginary friend that could go do your daily tasks in your place? I was just playing around with that idea and sketced out this gorilla doing work for someone else.

Nate S. - I've been sketching in an idea of a boy that builds a time machine to go back and hopefully make friends with famous people of the past like in this picture when he wants to go meet a viking.

Quincy G. - Quincy decided she needed to create a robot that eats her vegetables for her. Very clever, even though she loves eating veggies.

Scott W.

4 comments:

  1. Leizl, your bean characters made me Laugh. I love them! Nate - it is neat to see all the approaches you took. I like the loose drawings especially...and think that is where you should start out from now on. The ape is amusing...it would be nice to see more thought out variation in his hands and the viking - there's something great going on there. I think I may print that one out and work it over if I have time.

    Quincy G...your picture is delightful...try to always stay that free and imaginative as you learn more about art and you'll make some wonderful peices!

    Kristi, you are better handling anatomy and overall design. I was thinking about your work as a whole and it would be great to see you begin playing alot with perspective. When you take pictures or look up reference...if you were doing this picture again, for example - try a picture with the wagon behind her...see how her feet are on the same plane...trying making one of the feet look like it is further away. And definitely research as Nate mentioned. Those are the thing that will move our work to a whole new level.

    Scott, you made the girl too tall. She was cuter when she was shorter (in the thumbnail). Tracing other people's work has help you...thanks to the art center blog for a good idea!

    Good work! Keep it up! I love this site and seeing your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi, you surprise me every time. It seems to me that every contest you send in something that shows you growing by leaps and bounds. Your artwork is growing stronger every time, keep it up. Liezl, the beans are hilarious. Your imagination appears to not need these workouts. Great drawings.

    Quincy, I like that you found a truly great type of friend to have, one that eats vegetables. Scott, the bubble idea is awesome. I can picture a little child having a friend made of bubbles. My little Ainsley is already fascinated by bubbles and she's only 4 months.

    Great work everyone. I'm glad to see a variety of participation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliments Nate, and I really appreciate your critiques Scott. It is good to have something specific to work harder on for next time. I agree with Scott, the loose drawings of Nate's are great! The bubble idea has been the talk of our house this week - what we think her name should be, how to create a house where she could live without popping, can we make our own bubble friend...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristi. Thanks so much...it's great to hear you are having so much fun with the bubble idea. I'm inspired by how much you and your girls are involved in this. It's quite delightful to watch really. And I'm glad you appreciate the critique. I was wondering if it was too blunt because I have seen the same progress Nate mentioned. Keep up the great work! I'd love to hear the ideas you've come up about for the bubble girl.

    ReplyDelete